Marin Gillis, PhD
- Associate Professor, Division of Medicine and Society, Department of Humanities, Health, and Society
- AHC4 218
- Dr. Marin Gillis is a philosopher and bioethicist. Since beginning her career in 1999, Dr. Gillis has taught in the health field at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels in medicine, nursing, physician assistantship, pharmacy, dental hygiene, lactation consultancy, toxicology, and public health. She is a clinical ethics consultant and served as chair of ethics committee education at a 900 bed hospital. Her scholarship appears in a variety of journals, including Hypatia and Philosophy and Social Criticism and books, including Problem-Based Behavioral Science and Psychiatry, Technology and Values: Essential Readings, and Teaching Critical Thinking in Psychology: A Handbook of Best Practices. Dr. Gillis serves on various boards, including the International Humanist and Ethical Union at the United Nations, Medical Education and Arts Group at the Society for Arts in Healthcare in Washington, DC, and the Florida Bioethics Network. Her research interests include moral distress, social justice in health care, the integration of arts and humanities into medical education, and clinical decision-making in medicine. Dr. Gillis joined Florida International University Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (FIU HWCOM) in January 2011, where she develops and implements humanities and ethics curricula for medical and interprofessional courses and serves as Director of Integrated Ethics and Medical Humanities for the college. Additionally, Dr. Gillis is faculty advisor for the American Medical Student Association and Medical Humanities Club and is Course Director for “Ethical Foundations of Medicine” (Period 1).
Education and Training
- LPh, Philosophy, Catholic University of Louvain, Belgium
- PhD, Philosophy, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Clinical Ethics
- Research Ethics
- Gillis M, Hanrahan J. Article in search of an author: Exciting collaboration or unethical conduct? MedEdPORTAL. Sept 2010. Available at http://services.aamc.org/30/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=8142.
- Gillis M, de Melo-Martin I, eds. Hypatia: J Fem Philos. Feminist Biotechnologies Special Cluster. 2010; 25(3).
- Gillis M, Sigman-Grant M. Principles of health care ethics and the WHO/UNICEF 10 steps to successful breastfeeding. J Hum Lact. 2010; 26(1):11-14.
- Gillis M. The Enchiridion of Epictetus. In: Le Combe M, Alpern D, eds. Osler’s Bedside Library: Great Writers Who Inspired a Great Physician. Philadelphia, PA: American College of Physicians Press; 2009:77-83.
- Gillis M, Doris J. Ethics and Professionalism. In: Piasecki M, Guerrero APS, eds. Problem Based Learning in Psychiatry and Behavioral Science. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Springer; 2008:121-131.
Areas of Interest
- Clinical Ethics and Decision-Making,
- Healing Arts and Medical Humanities
- Social Media in Medicine