Daniel Castellanos, MD
- Founding Chair and Professor, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Health
- AHC1 349
Dr. Castellanos has spent his career in academic medicine dedicated to the teaching and training of students, residents, and fellows in Psychiatry. He has received several awards for outstanding teaching and has served as a mentor for numerous practicing child and adolescent psychiatrists. His areas of expertise include the evaluation and management of psychiatric emergencies and inpatient psychiatric treatment of children and adolescents. The assessment and treatment of suicidal behaviors and education regarding the appropriate use of psychotropic medications in children, adolescents and young adults are areas of particular focus. He has given numerous presentations on these topics and published a book and several articles related to children and adolescents. He continues his research in the area of suicide and Hispanic youth and the use of "designer" drugs among adolescents and young adults.
Dr. Castellanos has held several medical school leadership positions. He has also served as President of the Florida Psychiatric Society and held leadership positions in other regional and national professional societies. After obtaining his medical degree at the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra in Santiago, Dominican Republic, Dr. Castellanos completed his residency in Psychiatry at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center. He subsequently completed a Child and Adolescent Psychiatry fellowship at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. As the Founding Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at FIU HWCOM, Dr. Castellanos is committed to developing programs that offer excellence in education, training, research, and clinical services.
Education and Training
- Fellowship, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute/ Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, New York
- Residency, Psychiatry, Jackson Memorial Hospital, Miami, Florida
- MD, Pontifica Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Santiago, Dominican Republic
- BA, Psychology, University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida
- Castellanos D, Castellanos DA: Psychotropic Medication Reference. 2nd edition. Miami: Jet Graphics and Printers, 2012.
- Castellanos D, Thornton G. Synthetic Cannabinoid Use: Recognition and Management. J Psychiatr Pract, 2012, 18: 86-93.
- Castellanos D, Singh S, Thornton G, Avila M, Moreno A. Synthetic Cannabinoid Use: A Series of Adolescents. J Adol Health. 2011. Accepted for publication.10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.08.002
- Hill RM, Castellanos D, Pettit JW. Suicide-related behaviors and anxiety in children and adolescents: A review. Clin Psychol Rev. 2011; 31:1133-1144.
- Cortes E, Cubano A, Lewis JE, Castellanos D. Antidepressants at autopsy in Hispanic suicidal youth in Miami-Dade County, Florida. J Forensic Sci. 2011 Jan; 56 (1):155-60.
- Castellanos D. Psychotropic Medication Reference. Miami, FL: Jet Graphics and Printers; 2010.
- Farietta-Murray T, Castellanos D, Katsikas S. Effects of stimulants on Hispanic boys' height and weight. J Am Acad Child Adol Psychiatry. 2007;46:150-151.