The Department of Urology was established in 2012 to support the core curriculum for third year medical students rotating through their surgical rotations at Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine (HWCOM) at Florida International University.
Vision: To become recognized as one of the truly outstanding Urology Departments in the Southeastern United States. This will be achieved by establishing excellency in innovative surgery, research, surgical education, and outcomes research.
Mission: In an environment of academic excellence, this program will be centered at Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami and will establish programs to complement the academic mission of HWCOM. It will create an educational environment centered on excellence in patient care for medical students and residents.
The mission will be accomplished by:
- Creating an ACGME-accredited residency training program in Urology
- Developing a curriculum to expose third and fourth year medical students to patients with urological problems
- Recruiting outstanding faculty to support the pursuit of excellence in patient care, research, medical education, and technology
- Establishing an environment of intellectual curiosity
- Developing a service that will be supportive of other departments within the academic community