The Department of Anesthesiology was founded in 2012 within the organizational structure of the Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine at Florida International University.
Vision: To become one of the most outstanding academic departments of anesthesiology in the Southeastern United States. To be recognized locally, regionally, and nationally for the quality of patient care and educational experiences.
Mission: From the platform of an expansive community-based academic health center, to develop a progressive program in anesthesia that stresses the fundamentals of adult education and best practices in the art and science of anesthesia.
The mission will be accomplished by:
- Providing an experience for medical students, nursing students interested in becoming Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNAs), and other interested individuals at the highest level of professionalism in patient care
- Developing an ACGME-accredited graduate medical education (GME) program to train residents in anesthesia
- Interacting across all specialties to develop educational programs and provide educational experiences in the fundamentals of anesthesia
- Establishing a progressive curriculum for both students and residents as well as continuing medical education (CME) for individuals interested in anesthesia
- Developing an outreach program to our international colleagues in anesthesia that would be viewed as a premier opportunity to improve patient care across the globe