Cellular Biology & Pharmacology
The Department of Cellular Biology and Pharmacology was formally established in fall 2009 as part of the new Florida International University (FIU) College of Medicine (COM). It represents the common intellectual denominator of what historically would have been called pre-clinical (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Pathology, Pharmacology and Physiology) disciplines.
Vision: To be a nationally and internationally renowned department recognized for teaching and research in the context of a medical school.
Mission: To provide a dynamic and engaging environment in which to pursue a vigorous graduate education. The combination of diverse research backgrounds and an open environment should promote scientific exchange and lead to fruitful collaborations opening up new avenues of research and foster excellence in medical education.
The mission will be accomplished by:
- Constructing an encouraging environment that drives excellence
- Employing and preserving researchers engaged in extremely competitive research
- Promoting value for individuality as well as diversity
- Expanding and granting access to state-of-the-art core facilities
- Supporting local, national and international collaborative projects
- Facilitating interdisciplinary research
- Guiding faculty members towards academic excellence
- Developing a multidisciplinary graduate program
- Ensuring thorough schooling for our graduates